Monday, December 28, 2009

Whenever I cook with liquid smoke/eat anything where it is an ingredient, I get sick... any substitutes for it

I'm making a barbecue sauce recipe that calls for liquid smoke, but I just cannot ingest the stuff without getting sick. Is there any substitute I could use for it?Whenever I cook with liquid smoke/eat anything where it is an ingredient, I get sick... any substitutes for it
Try adding a little bit of ground cumin and some chipotle chili seasoning. This adds a nice smoky flavor without the smoke. I have the same problem with liquid smoke and so does my dad!Whenever I cook with liquid smoke/eat anything where it is an ingredient, I get sick... any substitutes for it
My suggestions were smoked bacon or ham, smoked paprika or chipotle adobo sauce. Then I went to the Cook's Thesaurus and found this:





liquid smoke Notes: This is a very potent seasoning that imparts a smoky flavor to meat, fish, and vegetarian mock meat products. A little goes a long way. Substitutes: smoked ham hocks (in a stew or sauce) OR omit from recipe OR chipotle pepper (hotter) OR bacon
Ugh, I can't stand liquid smoke! I can do a wee bit of Hickory Smoked Salt... you may try that. I like spice Islands brand, b/c the salt is really smoked, not just smoke-flavored. You may also try a gourmet grocery store or Williams-Sonoma to buy other salt that has been truly smoked in a smoker and not just flavored that way.





Otherwise, just leave the flavoring out! Grill the meat a bit on the pit outside to give it some outdoorsy flavor, then add your sauce.
Don't add it to the recipe!! Any seasoning can be left out of any recipe. This is just for seasoning or flavoring.





My dad couldn't eat garlic in any form, my mother couldn't have any form of pepper, black, white or red!!





I learned to cook without these ingredients in recipes. Just ignore them!! The dish will taste different, but will be just as good to you!!!





Who do we cook for??? We cook for ourselves!!!
The stuff makes me sick also- I use bacon or bacon bits. Be sure to read the label, some bacon bits are soy with the smoke flavor added.
  • coolest myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment