Monday, December 28, 2009

How could I put a shiny high gloss finish over my oil painting? I've seen it done- very high liquid gloss look?

http://campaign-game-miniatures.0catch.c鈥?/a>





there you go....i used this method it really worksHow could I put a shiny high gloss finish over my oil painting? I've seen it done- very high liquid gloss look?
When your oil painting is completely dry, at about six months drying time, use gloss damar spray varnish, available at any art or art/craft store (like Michaels). Spray outside, on a sunny day without too much wind (terrible stuff to breath in). Several light coats, drying an hour between, works best to get a really glossy, lacquered look.





If you don't want to wait six months, you can use gloss damar retouch spray varnish as soon as the painting is dry to the touch. Retouch varnish is basically the same chemicals as permanent varnish, but in a different combination and will not last as many years. You can also oil paint on top of retouch varnish, but not on top of permanent varnish.





I would NOT suggest sanding an oil painting unless you want that roughed up look. Part of the beauty of an oil painting is the brush strokes, so why sand them down?How could I put a shiny high gloss finish over my oil painting? I've seen it done- very high liquid gloss look?
Use a varnish. There are plenty around. And they all have a range of outcomes. I forgot what the one I use is called now... Superfine something? Its clear








Anyway, you need to make sure your painting is smooth before varnishing it, any lumpy bits will stand out a mile. You might want to sand it, if you do, do it outside.


And you need to make sure the painting is dry. Totally dry. As in dried for months. Even with a fairly thin painting, the inside takes much longer to dry than the crust that forms on top. Even though it looks and feels dry, it often isn't.








Edit, superfine picture varnish* - Should be used 6 months to a year after painting is complete.


Until then, you could use a retouching varnish, which is fine for more recently completed painting. Not quite as shiny though

No comments:

Post a Comment