Thursday, January 7, 2010

Should I reprocess these strawberry preserves? Some jars leaked liquid when I finished processing them.?

Only a small amount, right when they were lifted out of the boiling water. That was last night but this morning, no lids will depress when I test and they are tightly sealed to the jars. If I made a mistake, it was probably in the amount of headspace I used.





This is my very first time canning and I am hoping to do alot more this summer. Probably blueberries, raspberries and tomatoes.Thanks for your help!!Should I reprocess these strawberry preserves? Some jars leaked liquid when I finished processing them.?
You don't need to reprocess them if they are sealed and it sound like they are if you cannot hear a clicking when trying to depress the lids.


It could be you didn't leave enought space or could be that they were processed with too high heat.


That happened to me once with applesauce.





You do not need to process jam.


My mother and grandmother used to put the hot jam into hot jars (right out of boiling water) and seal them with hot lids.


Then they would seal by themselves and be perfectly good for years, if they lasted that long.


I'm not sure if they turned them upside down to cool or not.


Sometimes instead of lids they would use melted parafin on top of the jars sometimes to seal them and that worked fine, too. Then they would put on a lid to keep the mice and bugs out when they were stored in the basement.Should I reprocess these strawberry preserves? Some jars leaked liquid when I finished processing them.?
Yep, sounds like too little head space. If they sealed they should be ok. Processing is important, it prevents possible contamination and spoilage, and you don't want to take chances with botulism poisoning.





Have fun canning! I've been doing it for years and my family insists on getting jams and pickles for Christmas each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment